Dad Frank S. Land passed away on November 8, 1959 and was buried with honored ceremonies at Mt. Moriah Cemetery.
On the night of the funeral, Active Members of the International Supreme Council who attended the services, met and discussed the future of DeMolay. At this meeting, H. Malvern Marks, Past Grand Master and then Executive Officer in Texas, suggested thinking about a memorial for Dad Land. They were to bring their recommendations to the next Executive Committee meeting.
In the fall of 1960, a Memorial Committee was appointed for this purpose. Members included H. Malvern Marks (Chairman), George M. Saunders, Stanley Garrity, Harold Schafer, Chandler Cohagen, Albert McNally, and Dr. Claude F. Long.
This committee recommended that Dad Land’s office should remain as he left it, to be forever a shrine to his memory, and his work. They further recommended that the room adjoining his office should be converted into a museum or exhibit room to house his jewels, Masonic regalia, his painting, and the bronze head that was presented at his testimonial dinner.
The International Supreme Council authorized the committee to proceed with their plans. DeMolays also sent in donations for a Dad Land Memorial. The committee knew then that DeMolays all over the world wanted to have a memorial for Dad Land. In November, 1961 the two rooms were completed.
The idea for the stained glass window came from H. Malvern Marks. He had taken it from a drawing that was part of the Members Record Book. This record book was sent to all new members beginning in 1925.
The window was placed in the memorial room so it could be seen from the street. It was also lighted so that it would be visible at night. The window is in beautiful colors and shows a DeMolay young man robed and kneeling at the DeMolay altar, on which is the Crown of Youth, the Bible, and the school books. The bottom of the window reads, “I do so promise and vow…”
When the DeMolay Service & Leadership Center relocated in 1986, a decision was made to move the stained glass window inside. Through the generous donation of Past Grand Master Robert F. Hannon, the window was refurbished and dedicated on March 18, 1988.
The stained glass window is a representation of the most meaningful moment in our organization — when a young man takes his vows as a DeMolay.
We are very happy to display the stained glass window at the DeMolay Service & Leadership Center.